Plastic surgery could be the solution for you if you're looking to improve the appearance of your body or face. There are over 14 million cosmetic plastic surgery procedures performed each year according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Despite popular belief and the procedure name, plastic surgery doesn't involve adding any plastic to the body—it's just a term referencing the fact that your doctor will help “mold” your body or face into a new form. Learn more about the types of procedures available and who is a good candidate for plastic (cosmetic) surgery.
About Plastic Surgery
It's no secret that American are very appearance-conscious and want to keep their bodies looking healthy, young and fit. With the modern cosmetic procedures that are available, achieving a better look has become more accessible to patients. In many cases you can go home the day of plastic surgery to begin your healing process.
Types of Plastic Surgery
Here are a few of the most common types of plastic surgery requested by patients:
- Breast lift, enlargement or reduction.
- Tummy tucks to get rid of excess fat in the lower stomach.
- Liposuction to remove fat from targeted areas.
- Face lifts to improve the shape of the face and reduce wrinkles.
- Nose restructuring or reshaping.
- Eyelid surgery (also called Blepharoplasty to remove extra skin from the upper and/or lower lid.
The Ideal Candidate...
It's important to be in good general health, especially if you are looking to get a plastic surgery that requires general anesthesia. These are a few of the things that your doctor will look at to determine if you are a good candidate for plastic surgery:
- Patients with a medical history that's free of major health problems, like heart disease or bleeding disorders, make the best candidates.
- Skin that is elastic and flexible (especially in the case of facial surgeries).
- Physical fitness (obese patients aren't usually good candidates for plastic surgeries).
- Patients who do not abuse cigarettes or substances often make the best candidates for cosmetic surgeries.
- Patients who have reasonable expectations for surgery results and are willing to follow post-op instructions closely are the best candidates..